Welcome

Michelbook Country Club is located in McMinnville, Oregon, in the heart of Willamette Valley. This area is know for its large variety of vineyards and outstanding Oregon wines. Just 45 minutes south of Portland and 30 minutes north of Salem, our location offers quiet seclusion with easy access to all the best Oregon has to offer. The city of McMinnville is a quaint, historic and active community and we are thrilled to be part of it.

The community had been without a golf and country club since the 1930's when the Yamhill County Golf and Country Club, located between McMinnville and Layfayette was abandoned as a result of the Great Depression. Following World War II, a group of local golfers tried to buy Riverwood Golf Club from the Brainerd brothers, without success. In the late 50's, a similar effort was made aquire the Ernie Blair-Ed Spiller properties as a site to no avail.

In the early 60's, Kelton Peery, Chuck Colvin and Willard Cushing felt that it was time for the city to have a private golf course. Then began their search for property as the others had. However they soon were able to persuade Captain Francis Michelbook that this was a proper use for his land, a dairy farm and was later used for raising turkeys. Captain Michelbook did have some conditions in order to proceed and one was that it would perpetually bear the family name "Michelbook" and with the swipe of a pen was the beginning of Michelbook Country Club.

The first officers were Dr. Ross, president; Philip Bladine, vice-president; Willard Cushing, secretary; Kelton Peery, treasurer; Chuck Colvin and Warren Miller.

Their dream was for an eighteen hole golf course so they need more than the 114 acres of Michelbook property. Property was purchased from The Stout Family and the firm of Compton-Rowell. They proceeded to hire Sharon Stone of Western Turf Co. as designer-contractor in June of 1963 to develop a nine hole golf course. The barn was remodeled into the clubhouse. The cost to implement this project was $90,876 for the barn remodeling, $65,000 for the golf course and $225,345 for 235.5 acres of property.

On May 9, 1964 the first foresome headed down the number one fairway of a brand new nine hole course with Captain Francis Michelbook on hand to witness the event. Earl Flumeau hit the first drive straight down the fairway and to complete his foursome were Dr. Crit Houston, Homer Rohse and Lynn Miller.

Michelbook first disaster was the burning of the clubhouse. The barn was completely destroyed, except for the Golf Shop. A mobile home became the temporary clubhouse until the new facility was opened in June 1976.

Over the years they have developed the land around the golf course. The first home on the golf course was built by John and Helen McMillan at 1811 St. Andrews Drive along the ninth fairway. The fourth addition was opened to help pay for a 35-par second nine and remodeling of four holes on the first nine. The cost of these improvements was $700,000. The second nine was opened on July 27, 1984 with Dr. Ross hitting the first drive.

We are grateful to Kelton Peery, Chuck Colvin and Willard Cushing for the dream, Mr. & Mrs. Michelbook and the many others who helped the dream come to be.